"like Ghengis Khan on an iron horse, a monster steed with a fiery anus, flat out through the eye of a beer can and up your daughter's leg with no quarter asked and none given..."

Hunter S. Thompson

Friday, June 17, 2011

Awakening

Ernest Hemingway was one of America's great adventurers.  It's fitting that I am reading one of his greatest works on this, my greatest adventure.  There is a line in For Whom the Bell Tolls that really struck a chord for me.

"I am an old man who will live until I die."

I'm a fair ways away from being an old man, but three days into this trip and I've determined to live every day of my life until I die.  America is a beautiful, marvelous place, but this summer is a stepping stone paving the way to even greater adventure.  Today America, tomorrow the world.


On to more important things.  My odometer before the trip:


Let's see if I can up that number by about 10,000 or so before rolling back into Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment